Snoring affects millions of Americans and their bed partners. It is not only annoying but can have significant negative effects on one’s health, physically, mentally and socially. For the benefit of our patients, Miracle Hills Primary care is proud to offer NightLase, a new, innovative laser procedure for snoring and mild sleep apnea.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring occurs when you try to breathe through a narrow or partially obstructed airway. The sound comes from the vibration of air against the tissue, usually the soft palate and uvula.
Specific causes include:
- Obesity, which causes excess neck fat and tissues to compress the airway while lying down
- Age, which causes the normal tissue of the mouth and neck to become looser and more lax
- Alcohol and other medications, which can relax the muscles in the throat
- Large tongue or uvula structures in the mouth, which can close or partially obstruct the airway while sleeping
Weight loss, minimizing alcohol and changes in sleeping position are some first line, non-invasive methods that can improve snoring. When those methods are unsuccessful, however, you should ask about NightLase.
What is NightLase?
NightLase is a safe, effective, non-surgical procedure that eliminates snoring by tightening, strengthening and shrinking the tissues of the throat. For many, it is a great alternative to dental appliances or surgery. It can even help those with mild sleep apnea and eliminate the need for a CPAP machine.
What are the Benefits of NightLase?
- Simple in-office procedure
- No downtime
- No preparation prior to treatment
- No need for painkillers or medications after treatment
- Non-surgical, it doesn’t involve injections, cutting or sutures
- Improvement in snoring is almost immediately but optimal results after about 3 treatments